At OAS Plastic Surgery, we are dedicated to improving the overall look and feel of your skin. We find that chemical peels offer fantastic results.
Chemical Peels are a safe and subtle way to rejuvenate and revitalize the face, neck, decolletage, and more! Come in and meet with Dr. Suarez to find out what a chemical peel can do for you.
WHAT IS A CHEMICAL PEEL?
A chemical peel is a special solution that is applied to the skin for exfoliation and rejuvenation purposes. The solution normally contains either alpha-hydroxy, glycolic, or lactic acids. After a chemical peel treatment, the skin will begin to peel off, exposing the trapped, underlying healthy skin cells.
As people age, the skin has a harder time ridding the body of the unhealthy layers which can make the skin dull and you look older. With this non-invasive treatment, skin tone and texture are improved, leaving you not just with healthier looking skin, but actually healthy skin.
An ideal candidate for this treatment would be someone who has:
- Sun damage
- Skin discoloration caused by age spots, dark spots, or sunspots
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Uneven skin due to scarring
Men and women looking into receiving a chemical peel treatment should be in good health, have no skin allergies, and preferably non-smoking. It is important for someone considering this treatment to have realistic expectations. The treatment is not recommended for those who are pregnant or nursing, have taken Accutane within the last 6 months, currently have a specific skin condition such as rosacea, or if the patient has large scars and/or extremely lax skin because these will not be sufficiently treated with a chemical peel alone. If any of these are the case, it is best to speak with the doctor about candidacy and if this is a safe option for the patient’s current condition.
CONDITIONS CHEMICAL PEELS TREAT
Chemical peels are beneficial for many different skin concerns and can offer visible improvement to the quality and texture of the skin. Different types of peels offer their own benefits, but in general, the treatment is good for:
- Fine lines and wrinkles that come from age or sun exposure. Chemical peels can help to soften the look of these wrinkles and fine lines to give the patient a more youthful and energized look.
- Mild scarring, such as acne scars, can be lessened through chemical peel treatments by removing the damaged layers of skin created by the acne that led to the scarring.
- Certain types of acne can be treated by exfoliating skin and removing dead skin cells. Patients who have acne and received chemical peel treatment have seen fantastic results without the hassle of medications or creams.
- Age spots, sun damage, and dark spots are diminished through the use of chemical peels. The solution that is applied to the area of concern has a mild bleaching effect that can help provide an overall even skin tone.
- Overall look and feel of the skin is improved by removing the top layers of skin in order to help repair visibly damaged skin. This treatment is used to provide a more rejuvenated look in a less invasive manner.
Peels are normally performed on the face but can be used to treat skin conditions on the neck, chest, and occasionally the back for acne depending on the doctor’s recommendations. Dr. Suarez has helped many of his patients meet their goals of clearer, more radiant skin through his years of experience performing this treatment.
Healing normally takes about a week. During this time, patients might experience slight scabbing; this is completely normal. This is the body’s way of ridding itself of the damaged unhealthy skin. During the recovery stage, patients are asked to refrain from direct sun exposure and use protective sunscreen daily to protect the fresh layer of skin once the peeling had subsided. Sunscreen use when outside should be continued indefinitely as a general skin protection rule.
Throughout the recovery period, patients will need to apply creams or medication if provided. Cleaning the skin often is important to avoid infections while the new skin layer is still fresh. Following Dr. Suarez’s instructions will help to ensure long-lasting results.
Patients who received a chemical peel treatment with Dr. Suarez have had very satisfying results. Most patients saw improvements in skin tone, skin texture, and overall smoothness and health. The skin should continue to appear smoother even after healing. However, the doctor recommends that patients return in 6 months to get optimal results if the treated conditions are severe.
It is important to note that chemical peels are not permanent; it is a treatment that can help reduce skin concerns, but wrinkles, lines, and sun damage can occur with aging and direct sun exposure.
When looking for a way to rejuvenate your skin, do not look any further! Dr. Suarez can assist patients with many different types of skin treatments. His expertise and knowledge of this treatment and many others will give patients peace of mind knowing that their skin is being taken care of in the best possible way.